Longstone achieved the Eco-Schools Silver Award in 2015 – 2016. Some of the highlights of the Eco Schools programme included:
- Completing a full environmental review which identified three areas of our school that needed improvement. The three areas we chose are Waste, Biodiversity and Energy.
- Being awarded a £10,000 grant to design and develop a Structured Play/Eco Garden area within the school grounds.
- Participating in the Adopt a Spot programme. This involved doing two clean ups of Millar’s Lane and removing 37 bags of rubbish from the local community.
- Eco-Enterprise club up-cycling glass jars and using them as memory jars which were given to Year 12 leavers during their leaver assembly.
- Developing the whole school Eco-Code, Eco-Contract and Eco-Eagle scheme. Each classroom in the school has an Eco-Eagle responsible for emptying the dry recycling and food waste bins.
- Surveying the whole school about energy usage and waste creation and using the survey results to try and become more environmentally friendly.
- Having the Eco-bus visit the school to deliver fun and informative sessions about helping the environment to Junior and Middle school pupils.
We are hoping to achieve Green Flag status June 2017.
View our Eco-School E-Bulletin reports below.